Organizations like the YMCA, Boys & Girls Clubs, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, and the Scouts rely on thousands of volunteers and employees. And some of them should never be around children.
They shouldn’t be around children because they molest them. Child molesters have infiltrated every youth development organization in the United States, without exception. They seek out programs serving vulnerable children, children who respond to adult attention, and manipulate their way into their lives. Then they use the child for their own gratification.
Organizations that rely solely on criminal background checks don’t know that only 4% of sex offenders have criminal backgrounds—the other 96% look squeaky clean on paper! Keeping youth development programs safe requires a comprehensive approach to abuse risk management. Careful screening helps but it’s no substitute for mandatory training, consistent monitoring, and vigilant responding to suspicious or inappropriate behavior.
Praesidium can help your organization put in place all of the practices you need to keep those you serve safe.